I've heard many places that PHP's
eval function is often not the answer. In light of PHP 5.3's LSB and closures we're running out of reasons to depend on
Are there any conceivable cases where
eval is the best (only?) answer in PHP 5.3?
This question is not about whether
eval is evil in general, as it obviously is not.
Summary of Answers:
- Evaluating numerical expressions (or other "safe" subsets of PHP)
- Unit testing
- Interactive PHP "shell"
- Deserialization of trusted
- Some template languages
- Creating backdoors for administers and/or hackers
- Compatibility with < PHP 5.3
- Checking syntax (possibly not safe)